Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
ATM/Bancomat

Bushdrums.com

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

ATM/Bancomat

Link to this post 28 Apr 10

You won't have any problems to get cash at ATMS in Kenya in Nairobi or Mombasa. There it's even possible to get cash with my EC Card that I use in Germany. Even in smaller cities chances are good. Concerning my experiences VISa is more often accepted than Mastercard.

Have a great trip.

Once you get to Kenya and meet up with your guide I would explain my concern about pricing on souvenirs and ask him in advance what a fair price for wood carvings, beaded jewelry are long before you get to any curio shop. From dealers you meet along the road they will start at $20.00 for a small wood carving, When you say too expensive they will lower it a little and you have to haggle and use your judgment as to what it will actually be worth to you. Beaded bracelets could be as little at $1.50 - $2.00 each.

I hesitate saying trust a driver on prices because what I have found over many trips is that all the drivers have a little connection to one curio shop over another, and I'm almost sure they get a small per centage
if their clients buy something. But if you ask in advance and not wait until you get to a shop they might be able to give you a ballpark figure to use as a base.

The one thing I always do before I go is email my bank about a week in advance for the amount and denomination of bills I want and make sure they are newer than 2000 and have no rips or tears in them. Then they have a chance to get everything ready for you before you go to the bank. I once got to the visa desk and they refused a $50.00 bill because it had a minute tear in one corner. I also had given someone a bill dated either 1996 or 1998 (can't remember which) and it was refused because Kenya thought all bills with that date were counterfeit.

Must say I love Kipper's way of handling his money - a few ones in one pocket; a few 5's in another, etc.
I'm going to try that the next time I go. Thanks for the hint Kipper!

You save a number of problems by spreading your money arround your pockets!

$1 bills front left,

$5bills front right,

$10 bills rear right.... & so on.

1st - You never pull out a big wad!
2nd - You never give a $50 by mistake instead of the intended $5
3rd - You do not raise hopes of a big tip. (The recipient see's a bundle of $10's & you select a $1)
4th - If bartering, you know you are going to pull out 3 $5's to say it is all you have & not pull out 3 $50's.
5th - If there are any pickpockets they need to hit 4 or 5 pockets to get your money! But of course the bulk of your money is in a body belt any way!!

(I had to do this in Italy with Cody or else I would now be destitute)

I would like to add my take on the souvenire issue.

Something is only worth the amount someone is willing to pay!
So if someone paid $800 then that is what it is worth, to them.
If they saw it cheaper afterwards the fault is not with the vendors.

Enjoy the fun of bartering, never get up tight, if you are not interested say so politely & walk away.
The vendor may have not made a sale for two days, how is family going to live without your money?

Would you not pester like mad for your family if it was the other way round?

When bartering for an item & you are trying to get another $1 reduction may I ask that you think how long you had to work to get that $1?
5 minutes?
10 minutes?
How long would the vendor have to work to get that amount?

Enjoy bartering, have fun, Have respect & do you really need that extra $1 saving?
Huh! I'm often told it's a matter of principle by some tourists!!

For the vendor it could be a matter of life or death.

Just one example of "pricing":

Years ago I bought one of these typical Massai women nechlace at the curio shop at Kicheche Camp. As it is made by the relatives of guides in the villages I paid of curse the requested 50US$ - to me it was well worth it.
When we left and got to Ngerende airstrip's "duty free shop" the exact same (size/work) necklace was available and the shop assistant asked 300 US$!
I only can advise to evaluate whether and what the item is worth to you personally and decide - and never compare in other shops

Link to this post 29 Apr 10

Hi Jane - Everyone seems to have given you a lot of very good advice. I just returned from a 6-week trip to Kenya, my 14th trip there, so I just wanted to add one more piece of advice about the best made plans of mice and men. What I'm trying to say is to expect the unexpected and have a have a good reservoir of patience and good cheer.

My first adventure after landing in Nairobi was to travel by air to Samburu....something kept nagging at me about confirming my reservations for the Serena Lodge and the flight - so I didn't make my plans until I was already in Nairobi...when I went to see my travel agent to pay for my trip I was told Samburu had just experienced a catastrophic flood of the Ewaso Ngiro River and that seven lodges, mine included, were totally swamped and tourists were being plucked from the roofs of the lodges by police helicopters with the majority of their belongings floating down the river.

I had to alter the entire first week and also had to make plans for my last 10 days which I left unplanned until the last moment. My only real regret was my trip to Lake Naivasha which used to be one of the most beautiful fresh water lakes on earth....it is now a very degraded cesspool due to the growth of the flower business which went from a few farms to hundreds....all disposing of their pesticides and fertilizers into the lake and the growth of the population around the lake from 20,000 soles in the 1970's to about 300,000 and everyone sending their raw sewage directly into the lake. It is a very sad lesson in greed, corrupt politicians, corrupt environmental police and the soaring human population in Kenya and around the world which is depleting natural resources at an alarming rate.

My most positive surprise was the 62,000-acre, well-managed, paradise called Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. My first trip to this private wildlife conservancy....brimming with white and black rhino, elephants, oryx, eland, grant's gazelles, lions, hyenas, cheetah, etc. The highlight was seeing a mother leopard with two cubs about a month and a half or two months old. The owners have their own armed security rangers who patrol on foot and in small planes. They work closely with the community - creating many jobs and building schools and heath clinics. My private driver was Nissa, a Maasai from the local community who is going for his Gold Certification. He was the best guide I've ever had anywhere in Africa with an encyclopedic knowledge of all the plants, animals, insects, geology, culture and history of the area....simply fantastic.

I agree with Jan that changing money is best done at the Forex at the airport. They give a fair exchange for only a small fee. I also strongly encourage you to ask your bank for bills, say 100's, which are of recent vintage - at least the year 2000 or later. I used an ATM only once using my Visa Credit card and had to pay a lot to JP Morgan Chase for the privilege. I bring a lot of cash and a Visa Card - traveler's checks are worthless as they will not be accepted in most places. Putting money in various places is a good idea. I've never worn a money belt....my waist is thick enough....so I put some money in my pockets, photo bag, inside my suitcase in my socks....in my jacket pockets, etc. So far, never had a problem....knock wood.

Have a great trip - just stay loose and enjoy the ride!

Link to this post 29 Apr 10

Kipper my friend, it is obvious you have been in the deep, deep bush too long without many people around to pester you.

On one trip from Amboseli to Tsavo we had to stop at a gate in the road where the driver had to report to a KWS officer. As soon as he got out of vehicle I was surrounded by about 10 sellers who wouldn't take no for an answer. Other sellers, seeing the vehicle surrounded by other sellers, apparently thought I was a big buyer and also came rushing up, all of them rapping at the windows, trying to get in the car door and doing other things to try to get attention. There was one wood carving of a rhino which I might have been interested in if there had been no pressure, but because I was getting tired of saying no thank you over and over again I ended up not buying anything. It wouldn't have been fair to buy from one and not the other. Thus the windows just got rolled up and they were ignored until the driver returned and we could be on our way.

I went to Namanga town with a friend and as soon as we got out of the Landcruiser about 5 Maasai mambas grabbed my arms all wanting me to buy their beaded bracelets. Again, you don't feel you can buy from one and not the other so you do nothing. Then they followed us around the town and even back to our vehicle hoping for a sale.

Bartering on a one-to-one basis might be fine because you wouldn't feel so uncomfortable. You'll need to start giving us all lessons on the proper way to do it without feeling guilty.

Kat: So glad you enjoyed Lewa so much. At least we know there are some people who know how to do it
right. It's a shame what you found at Naivasha though and too bad the government hasn't yet tried
to make it right.