Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Stop the serengeti highway!!!!

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information Environmental Topics Stop the serengeti highway!!!!

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Stop the serengeti highway!!!!

Link to this post 07 Jun 10

There is already a highway through the Serengeti. North to South & very busy with trucks & other vehicles.

I'm not sure that the alternative route is any better!
The Southern route although clear of the "Great" migration would interfere with the migration from the Crater / Manyara to & from the Serengeti.
We must remember the return of Rhino to the Serengeti was a natural migration form the crater area & thought to be & most likely to be from the crater itself!

I do not think any road would be too much of a problem for the "Great migration" animals just as long as there is no barriers errected & speed limits or road closures are strictly enforced during the crossings.

The poaching argument IMHO is a valid point allowing the poacher quicker access & anonymity due to the extra traffic.

Petition signed!!!

Link to this post 17 Jun 10

Pippa - thank for providing the petition. I signed and sent it today.

Link to this post 18 Jun 10

Hi kipper, have a look at this website it outlines the problems with the highway in detail. There are also links to other reading... there is a lot of momentum building behind this movement! The case is pretty strong.

http://www.savetheserengeti.org/issues/stop-the-serengeti-highway/

They are also forming a coalition of Travel Industry organizations and companies to band together against this. So if you know anyone in the Travel Industry, make sure you send them to this page!

Link to this post 18 Jun 10

Thank you Musa, & welcome to Bushdrums.

My original point was against the Southern route as an alternative to the proposed Northern route.

Well done your post has made me look again at the map & I now realise that the Southern route would not interfere with the natural migration from the Crater / Manyara areas.

I was wrong.

I always worry that us Northern Hemosphere "Europeans" sit in our little palaces & traveling on our 6 lane highways in total comfort try & dictate how others live their lives because Heavens forbid it might impact on our comfortable little annual jaunt!

I see to much interference in Africa of "Don't do as I do! Do as I say"

Impact on the "Great Migration" I'm not so sure?
What is the purpose of this road?
How busy will this road become?

I'm may be wrong but does not the migration already cross the road through the Serengeti? That is pretty busy with trucks!
And dare I say it......... Tourists!

I think a major concern must be -
Where will the road building materials come from & what impact will their extraction have on the enviroment?

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information Environmental Topics Stop the serengeti highway!!!!