Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
How to stop the reduction of wildlife in buffer zones

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum Conservation Wildlife Protection How to stop the reduction of wildlife in buffer zones

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

How to stop the reduction of wildlife in buffer zones

Link to this post 04 Dec 06

In Kenya wildlife has reduced by about 60 % since 1990 although hunting is strictly banned. The reasons reach from drought to poaching, increasing settlements to wrong concepts of conservation as well as many other reasons. We have discussed the concept of utilization of wildlife as an integral tool for conservation but even if it would be a solution, I doubt it is within reach as it requires a drastic change in Governmental direction. Hunting has been banned in Kenya for 30 years and I honestly don't see this change very soon. I don't want to wipe it off the table, but I guess we should also look at solutions that seem easier to implement.

I have decided to create this topic to collect ideas / knowledge / experiences on how wildlife can be protected in buffer zones.

Feel free to chip in anything you know or can think of that might help the protection of wildlife in those buffer zones.

Link to this post 05 Dec 06

Carsten,
If Gov or the private sector identifies buffer zones with tourism potential than that is the way to go. IMO it must involve the communities in the decision and operating processes. Equally important is that it earns enough money for all parties involved - and this includes the locals, the private sector and Gov; probably in that order - to make it worthwhile to protect the wildlife found therein. Wildlife conservation "by the people" as opposed to conservation "for the people".

Link to this post 07 Dec 06

Carsten:

The one phrase you used which makes me very nervous is "Wildlife conservation "by the people" as opposed to conservation "for the people".

Wouldn't the people then think the wildlife belongs to them and think they can take it when they feel like it?

It is the same thing I worry about with some huge private company wanting to buy or run a park. Once they get their hands on it, they will feel they can do what they want with it.

I am far less trusting than you are of people's judgments (perhaps its my old age). There would have to be a hell of a lot of safeguards written into something like this before I would go along with it. Some type of penalty clause that if animals are not cared for properly and are killed or abused, privileges will be lost and huge fines assessed.

Link to this post 07 Dec 06

Carsten, are you going to answer??

Just kidding....

I don't object to wildlife belonging to people. Of course not that simply. Legislation and policy needs to be in place for them to follow and abide by. They need to understand that wildlife, unlike gold, oil, etc, is a re-newable resource. If they profit hugely from it, they won't let it disappear. What we are discussing here in the various threads, is happening all over Africa and the rest of the world where wildlife exists. There are various forms of wildlife utilisation that work and are successfully implemented throughout our continent. There are numerous other "pilot projects" that are testing new more radical forms of utilisation and conservation. The answer to many conservation questions are out there. The key is that conservation tools need to be flexible and adaptable to different situations. There cannot be just one form of wildlife conservation that applies for every scenario.

Link to this post 15 Dec 06

For some reason I had missed the answers to this thread :T

Jan, wasn´t me who said "wildlife conservation by the people"

Original von bwanamich
The answer to many conservation questions are out there. The key is that conservation tools need to be flexible and adaptable to different situations. There cannot be just one form of wildlife conservation that applies for every scenario.

That is why I created different topics for different situations (Buffer zones, migration paths, national parks). Feel free to break this topic down to more specific scenarios and offer solutions.

I have been trying to get hold of people from organisations to provide us with details of projects that work in order to consider them as solutions for other areas. Unfortunatly no one could be bothered so far

Link to this post 15 Dec 06

Carsten,

I think you will find that individual areas require individual solutions for individual problems. All in all, i don't think we are faring to badly considering we are new at this game. Conservation of wildlife is a rather new concept hardly having celebrated its 100th birthday! The wealth of information out there should be sufficient in most cases provided there is a will to make use of it by the people concerned. If all players would work together as opposed trying to trip each other up for personal gain or gratification we would be much better of. Unfortunately, everything takes time when burocracy is involved particularly when policy making and legal legislation is required. I'm confident my kids and theirs will be able to share most of the wildlife we experience today. We must keep a positive outlook.

You are here Bush-Talk Forum Conservation Wildlife Protection How to stop the reduction of wildlife in buffer zones