Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Problems with Park Services

Bushdrums.com

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Problems with Park Services

Link to this post 12 Apr 11

I recently posted a news article "Problems with Park Services" with permission of the author Steve Shelley outlining the problems he had had trying to get cooperation from KWS in getting his large group of corporate clients through the gate of Nairobi National Park. Since comments to articles do not post live on Bushdrums, and since KAT did post a comment, I would like to re-post her comment for all to see and comment on.

It states, "Not sure I would call the park fee policy "racist" as there are people of all races who are getting these discounts for being "Residents" or "Citizens". (Same with "Foreigners" of all races!) I must admit it is very annoying to see wealthy "Residents/Citizen" coming in to lodges in their Mercedes, as they are obviously as wealthy or wealthier than your average "Foreign" tourist. I think KWS should apply a "the longer you stay - the less you pay" scheme for Foreign tourists like me. I go to Kenya every year and pay a ridiculous amount of money to stay in different parks and reserves for several weeks. As far as the entry process - I agree it's like watching grass grow. Even when I am at, say Buchuma Gate, in East Tsavo and I am the only one there - I spend up to 45min waiting to be cleared to proceed - even when all fees and paperwork are in order and my fee is at the highest rate. Don't understood why this should take so long."

Link to this post 12 Apr 11

Kat:

I also find it interesting that Mr. Shelley's clients had to present their passports. I have never had to present my passport at any park or reserve. I wonder if his problem is unique to Nairobi National Park? Or, could it be a new policy?

KWS has many antiquated policies that need to be changed. I suggested to the Director a few years ago that they connect to PayPal, WorldPay, Verisign or the like (secure paying sites) so that tourists could order their Smartcard/Safaricard in advance, pay the secure site with their credit card - or even make donations to KWS through the secure site. It still hasn't been implemented.

Like you, I am frustrated. Not only do I pay 90% more than residents/citizens for my park fees, but also pay much, much more to lodges/camps to sleep in the same beds, eat the same food and see the same wildlife in the same LandCruisers as the resident. Then they have the nerve to ask the manager to have one of the askaris babysit their infants and toddlers in their tents/rooms while they have a leisurely dinner!!

I also suggested to the Director years ago that he obtain enough "sniffer dogs" to be able to go through all the containers in Mombasa Port to ensure wildlife products are not being shipped out. He reassured me the dogs were in place. Then why the heck are there so many shipments of ivory being received in Asia from Mombasa Port?!!!

The other things I would love to see, but will never happen, is diplomatic immunity done away with IF wildlife products are detected in a politicians checked or carry-on luggage by sniffer dogs. A lot of ivory and animal skins have been smuggled out that way, and presently nothing can be done about it.