Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
My heart cries for Kenyans

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information General Topics My heart cries for Kenyans

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

My heart cries for Kenyans

Link to this post 16 Jan 08

I posted a news article tonight about the devestation the tourism industry has ended up with due to the post-election rioting and it is so very sad. Yes, tour operators made a bundle during the good times, but they can't continue to pay hundreds of people indefinitely. Many of the employees of the camps and lodges have already been laid off. Drivers are also being laid off.

It is for these reasons that I am more determined than ever to continue on my Kenyan trip in a couple of weeks. The people need to know that we still care about them. The more people that continue with their safari plans, the quicker the industry will be able to slowly get back on track. Remember, no tourist has been injured or killed.

There is nothing we can do to change the minds of the politicians, but if you have friends in Kenya, please let them know that you care.

Link to this post 16 Jan 08

jan,
i received the following update today................
sorry, but it's not really good.
i understand what you say and fully support you regarding "joe average" in kenya!

but remember: only a couple of month ago we said that some threads might put an end to tourism growth in kenya and they might come to terms with the park fees, camp bed rates etc...............

Update from Mary Wykstra, CCF Project Director in Kenya

Many people are contacting us as they are becoming aware of the violence following the elections in Kenya. We received the following update from Mary a couple of days ago:

"15 days after Kibaki was sworn in as President, the nation is still in turmoil. I believe it will be a long time before there is peace.

Things in Nairobi are calm, but there is claim that there will be rallies held beginning Tuesday and extending through Friday. Although I know many people who are still travelling between areas, the highways are not secure due to police being needed in the towns. Bandits and gangs take advantage of open highways where there is little likelihood of getting caught. It is being recommended to travel in convoy.

As people are cut off from their businesses and spend more time fighting than tending their farms, the crisis of food and financial stability is severely threatened. Just when it looked like sustainable development was possible the country is again plunged into aid dependency. Huge step backwards! "

Mary's contingency plan is to head for Salama and stay in the bush where things are much more predictable. For now she is at home, as it is just not safe to be travelling around. She has invitations from people in Samburu, Magadi, Mbirikani and Mara that if things get bad in all the urban sites she can spend as much time holding cheetah baraza (community meetings) and training as she wants. While the Masai are considered to be warriors, it is for cattle and land that they will fight. On this political platform they are the most stable of all at the moment.

Mary thanks everyone who has expressed concern. Please keep Kenya in your thoughts and hope that peace will return to soon.

Link to this post 17 Jan 08

17 January 2008
KQ cancels Mombasa flights
KENYA Airways has cancelled its flights between London and Mombasa until March 21 and between Johannesburg and Mombasa between February 3 and 24.
The airline says this is partially due to the civil unrest but also because it is low season in Mombasa. Passengers booked on these flights will be re-accommodated on Nairobi flights.

Chana Viljoen
(chanav@nowmedia.co.za)

I have spoke to friends in Kenya and the industry is taking a real blow - which will snow ball.
What a pity; yes Pippa they will re look at the whole situation in general re park fee... I think! But then again; you never know.

Jan; as a member of the service and hotel industry; I really appreciate your words to continue travelling.
In 2002 and 2003 I personally had an incredible blow due to 9/11 and nearly lost my business due to people not wanting to travel on planes. It was real tough and I managed to pull through...just.
Now all is settled but fully feel and understand what my friends are very scared of.

Original von Nico
I have spoke to friends in Kenya and the industry is taking a real blow - which will snow ball.
What a pity; yes Pippa they will re look at the whole situation in general re park fee... I think! But then again; you never know.

nico,
quite frankly - they still don't consider giving back any deposit payment nor a postponment of camp nights in case it's going to worsen for the migration period!

none of my clients wants to book now for sep/oct. deposit payments have to made withing 14 days of booking in order to secure the booking. final payment 45 days prior to arrival. it cannot be tollerated that they claim one should book in order to serve the people of kenya and on the other hand neither kenya tourism office nor the camps grant any pack back or the right to postpone the camp nights to 2009.
under these circumstances i won't get any booking for the upcoming season!

Link to this post 18 Jan 08

I just heard from my regular waiter at Amboseli. Many of the wait staff have already been laid off. I presume it will be the same everywhere. Chefs, landscape people, drivers, everyone will be effected. It is just such a shame that this is all being done because of two people who's egos are so great they can't sit down and work this out. In my book, neither deserves to be President - it is obvious they don't care for their fellow Kenyans.

And though I know Carsten disagrees with me, tribalism has to be done away with some how. It is so very difficult to understand how a Kikuyu can live next to a Kalenjin or Luo for 10 years and get along, and then because someone from his tribe calls him, chops off the neighbor's head with a panga and in some cases gives up a wife and kids who love him to go and fight for a tribe-mate who doesn't care one bit about him.

Pippa: from what I've been reading, if people do go ahead with their travel plans, their travel insurance will no longer cover them. Is that so for your clients also?

You are here Bush-Talk Forum General Information General Topics My heart cries for Kenyans