Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Kenya Angry With CITES Over Sale Of Ivory, ‘Partisan’ Secretariat

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum Conservation Wildlife Protection Kenya Angry With CITES Over Sale Of Ivory, ‘Partisan’ Secretariat

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Kenya Angry With CITES Over Sale Of Ivory, ‘Partisan’ Secretariat

Link to this post 17 Jan 10

Cosmas Butuny, East African
January 17, 2010

The secretariat of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) has come under fire over its handling of the row over ivory trade in the East African region.

Kenya is blaming the secretariat for the dispute that pits it and Rwanda on one side against Tanzania on the other.

The full article is posted under "latest News".

Regrettably there it cannot be discussed therefore I have opened y new theard here.

I first didn't know to WHERE to post:

Wildlife Protection?
Environmental Protection?
International Widlife?
etc etc

as that topic and the credibility of CITES - or the lack of it - I think makes a great opportunity for all to post their opinions.

Happy Posting !

I am looking forward to your inputs!

Link to this post 18 Jan 10

Let me start the discussion off if I may. In my naivete I thought CITES was initiated to PROTECT wildlife.
The more I see and hear, I realize it is not protecting wildlife at all but is strictly about TRADE in wildlife products. They don't give a damn about what happens to the wildlife as long as the trade continues.

I have been thinking the last few days about what Kenya could do to foil the Tanzania-Zambia wish to sell all their ivory despite the nine year moratorium on trade put on at the last CITES meeting and despite the increased poaching. (I also didn't realize that the moratorium was only for those countries that got to sell their ivory last year. I thought it was for all signatories).

Kenya feels another ivory bonfire won't work again. Wish I knew of some mercenaries who could get there and explode the Tanz and Zambian storage facilities and all the ivory along with it. I'm sure a lot of that is from poaching in the Selous where the poachers haven't been quick enough to havest the ivory or buried it to go back and get it later. They have been having a field day in the Selous this year.

We all know CITES is full of BU++++it when it states that any ivory sold is from elephants who died natural deaths, not from poaching or hunting. Every single article comes out with the phase "who died of natural death" and it is totally dishonest trying to get sympathy from unknowing people.

Wish I knew all the answers, but as always, it is the wildlife that suffers.
- Edited by Jan on 18.01.2010, 03:52 -

Jan
I support every thought you have very well formulated!
I am also very anti-Cites for obvious reasons.

As long as there is ivory sales - poaching will be encouraged.

Instead of "monitoring the sale" the UN should create a kind of "World heritage species" which under any circumstance has to be protected.

Here are some links to "bodies" which are all involved in each other, feed governments in order to serve their hunting interests and also CITES.

Do have a look at the personnel:

http://www.cic-wildlife.org/index.php?id=72
http://www.wildlife-baldus.com/start.html[/color]

You are here Bush-Talk Forum Conservation Wildlife Protection Kenya Angry With CITES Over Sale Of Ivory, ‘Partisan’ Secretariat