Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
ATM/Bancomat

Bushdrums.com

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

ATM/Bancomat

Link to this post 27 Apr 10

I have read the thread on money but it was last updated in 2007 with no mention of ATM availability. Is it good or not to plan on obtaining Kenyan currency from the machines? Are they available and do they work? Is there a limit on amount obtained?

We arrive in Nairobi in the evening and the next morning head to Samburu. Where and how should we able to get local money?

Hi Jane: I've only used Kenyan ATM's once. I wanted $300.00 US and put that amount it. However, what I got was 300 Kenyan shillings (not very much - about 4 - 5 dollars).

If you really feel you need to change your money there are Forex bureaus at the airport, both inside and just outside where you exit from the Customs area.

When I went the first couple of times I took traveler's checks with me. However, that was a disaster. Even in banks they didn't know they were the same as cash and didn't want to cash them unless you had an account at the bank, had to get the bank manager involved, then they needed your passport and even asked you why you wanted that amount of money. It ended up taking 45 minutes for something that should have been an instant transaction.

I don't bother to change money anymore. My trip is already prepaid. I just tip everyone with US dollars and they are just happy to get it as many tourists don't tip anything which I personally feel is not right.
Get one or two of the Eagle Creek money holders (inexpensive) and you can wear them under your clothing to as not to call attention to pulling out a wallet. Then just keep a couple of dollars in your pocket but hide the rest.

Be sure when checking in to a camp/lodge to lock your passport and large amount of money in the safety deposit box or safe for your own protection.

Thanks, Jan. What about buying small souvenirs? In tanzania we used their money rather than US $'s. Is that not true in Kenya?

Jane - as our trips are prepaid we only use US$ for tips and souvenirs (the latter we buy rather seldom and mostly for friends/relatives). Even taxis get paid in US cash. Never had a problem.
We have loads of 1US$ bills, lots of 5 $ followed by 10 and 20 $ bills. Seldom do I take 50US$.

Happy travels!

Ah - I know from camps that they exchange the tips at a very good rate for the guides. I have never tried ATM.......

Hi Jane:

Like Pippa I do not buy a lot of souvenirs anymore. When I do, it is usually on my last day in Nairobi at my hotel, and I pay for that with a credit card (have done this at the hotel and also Kazuri Bead Factory safely).

By saving gifts/sourvenirs to the last day, you won't have to lug them all around the country with
you. In addition, you'll save yourself a lot of money. I once tried buying a wildlife book in the lodge
gift shop but it was too expensive. When I got back to my Nairobi hotel the last day they had the exact same book for about one-half the price.

There are a lot of curio shops all over the country where you can spend too much money. Some people
like to haggle on price. I personally do not like doing it.

You can "get taken". A friend I referred to Kenya took her nephew. They went to a Maasai village and the nephew wanted to pick up a few beaded necklaces for his sisters. They charged him $800.00!!! Then when he saw the same beaded necklaces in the hotel gift shop for about 5.00 apiece he realized he was taken They tried getting their money back but the Maasai said no, it had already been distributed to tribe mates. Just be careful.

Link to this post 28 Apr 10

Thanks Pippa and Jan. I know now what to do. We will have a personal guide/driver throughout the trip--well, almost--not in the Mara as we fly there and use the camp guide. Our guide will then rejoin us for the rest of the time. Can we expect to count on him/her for good advice and guidance? I would like to get some money for Casey to have to keep--to add to his collection.