Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
serengeti highway

Bushdrums.com

You are here: Bush-Talk Forum General Information Wildlife Topics serengeti highway

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 129

Warning: Illegal string offset 'active' in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/html/pagination.php on line 135

serengeti highway

Link to this post 03 Jan 11

I don't know more than you and I assume that behind the scenes, the decision is made. I just had a look on [URL=http://www.savetheserengeti.org]www.savetheserengeti.org[/URL] but couldn't see any news if bundled up or not.

I couldn't agree more with you about the disaster this will bring with it.

Will future generations think that the migration is the crossing of the motorway?
Do the chinese need the motorway to transport ivory from poaching out of the country quicker?
Is it due to the corruption in the country, right to the top?

So many organizations struggle to reopen or keep up wildlife corridors and on the other hand they are building a highway through one of the wonders of this world?

This world has really gone insane!

My understanding was that there was large lobby within the government opposed to this highway & that it was far from being done & dusted.

But let us look at it from the point of view that OK it is now settled that it is settled & the highway is going ahead.
Instead of a wringing of hands & a shaking of heads we must move on to the positive side & strive to minimise the impact.
Remember there is already a major very busy route through the Serengeti that the migration encounters without mishap & having travelled that route a few times I have never seen any road kills.
OK I do realise the traffic will be far greater on the new proposed route than on the existing highway, & that the highway is going to be built even with the international condemnation & with all the pressure from enviromental groups.

So instead of "Don't do this" is it not now better to say "If you do this why don't you do that?"

My Opinion. "So you build the highway why don't you,during times of migration close it or have a heavily policed limit on the speed or use of the highway, why not install ramps or the such in the sensative areas?
As for the movement of contraband why not push for the use of custom type points along it?

I think the use of the term highway may be somewhat inflamatory, although I don't know.
Highway in our comfortable European life styles conjures up a picture of multi lanes with barriers, gantries & the like.

But the term "Serengeti Road" doesn't have the same impact does it?

Please don't misread me I'm against the building of such a road? Highway?
But if it's going to be built then let's try & reduce the impact of such a construction.

As you know I'm not a lover of online petitions IMHO I think they do no good except to satisfy a personal inner need to prove your doing something. A feel good factor!
I wonder how many have also tried to get their own government involved or done more than just typed their name & then continued on with their lives?

Kipper, I agree that it is more fruitful to focus on the status quo than crying over spilled milk, but to my understanding, the milk hasn't been spilled yet.

Also, I agree with Kat that the big threat is not the actual crossing of the road but the fact that the highway will impact the migratory routes of millions of animals.

Animals are not like school children that you can teach to cross the road in specific places or certain times, they will try to cross whenever they feel the need to do so. Most likely they will be scared to cross, even if only for some time until they realize that they can't continue to stay where they are.

The speed and noise from the fast cars and trucks will keep them away from the road that they should be crossing.

Kat just emailed me with two pertinent pieces that all may wish to view.

Go to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40852912#40852912
(Animals Lie on Serengti Road)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/40852912#40852912
(Preserving the Serengeti)

Thank you Kat for the heads up on these pieces.

Link to this post 07 Jan 11

Great information! Thank you Kat!!!