Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::set() should be compatible with KObject::set($property, $value = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Declaration of KHttpUri::get() should be compatible with KObject::get($property = NULL, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php on line 454

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/cache.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of JCacheStorage::get() should be compatible with JObject::get($property, $default = NULL) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/cache/storage.php on line 173

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/joomla/document/document.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::import() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/loader.php on line 186

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/http/uri.php:454) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/templates/ja_purity_ii/libs/ja.template.helper.php on line 130
Jan in Kenya

Bushdrums.com

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaHelperDefault::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/helpers/default.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Declaration of KControllerAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/controller/abstract.php on line 24

Strict Standards: Declaration of KViewTemplate::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/view/template.php on line 22

Strict Standards: Declaration of KModelAbstract::__call() should be compatible with KObject::__call($method, array $arguments) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/libraries/koowa/model/abstract.php on line 19

Strict Standards: Non-static method JLoader::register() should not be called statically in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninja/models/settings.php on line 10

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() should be compatible with ComNinjaDatabaseTableSettings::_getDefaultsFromXML() in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/settings.php on line 20

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardDatabaseTableAssets::insert() should be compatible with KDatabaseTableAbstract::insert(KDatabaseRowInterface $row) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/administrator/components/com_ninjaboard/databases/tables/assets.php on line 41

Strict Standards: Declaration of ComNinjaboardTemplateHelperPaginator::pagination() should be compatible with ComNinjaHelperPaginator::pagination($config = Array) in /www/htdocs/w006b358/components/com_ninjaboard/templates/helpers/paginator.php on line 13

Jan in Kenya

Link to this post 03 Mar 09

Ciao Jan,

I hope you had another memorable safari and time in Kenya.
What was the atmosphere like with the locals? Are they more hopefull with the political situation?
Were the lodges and camps full and any inside news for the future of parks and wildlife there?

Link to this post 03 Mar 09

Ciao Nico:

I did indeed had another wonderful trip. Weather was usually dry, but we did have several heavy rains for about 15 minutes each with heavy wind - not enough to make the animals disappear. It was HOT though - around 95 - 100 with one day getting up to 103 degrees. Frequent cool shower sthat day!

In talking with some of the people I found them to be extremely discouraged. Amboseli tourist numbers are way down. Luckily Satao Camp has been full right along (but it is smaller). The people seem to be very discouraged with their government's lack of caring and corruption. Poverty has gotten worse, if possible, and food is in short supply in some areas.

Interestingly, one would think that with fewer tourists, services would be much better. However, other than at the camp where service was great, I found more and more errors or inadequacies than I have in 14 previous trips. I had problems at Moi Airport, JKIA and even at my regular Nairobi hotel. It was very discouraging. I've never had these problems before and don't know to what it can be attributed.

I did post a short report under the trip reports about wildlife problems I encountered. The Nation yesterday reported that the problem with the cattle in the park had been taken care of by KWS over the weekend.

It was so nice officially meeting another bushdrummer, Katherine. We had emailed back and forth before but had never met. We got to spend one week together at Satao and both of us truly enjoyed the wildlife there.

Despite the problems, I'm already starting to plan the August trip.

Link to this post 04 Mar 09

Thank you Jan - perhaps you should ask your other half to move to Kenya with you for 6 months of the year. We will have daily updates with a webcam reposrting directly from the Bush.....